Sunday, May 22, 2005

The Mighty Caravan

Sorry it took so long to post this. I wanted to explain the aircraft that I command through the air. It is the Cessna C-208B Caravan " Super Cargomaster". A very fun aircraft to fly. It is powered by a Pratt & Whitney PT6 Turbine Engine producing either 600 SHP ( Shaft Horsepower ) or 675 SHP depending on model ( I have flown both ). It has been said that the Caravan is just a big Cessna 172, I disagree. For one thing, the Caravan is huge and heavy for a single-engine aircraft. The Cessna 172 seats 4 but the Caravan can seat 14 in the right configuration. Secondly, try to fit 3000 lbs of cargo in the Cessna 172 ( good luck). I routinely fly with that much cargo on board plus enough Jet-A to allow me to fly for 3 1/2 hours. Granted, it does look like a big freaking 172 but that's about as close as the comparison gets for me.
The Caravan cruises at around 170 knots TAS, so it is fairly slow. But for handling large freight loads with one pilot, slow can be good. Also, the low landing speed and reverse range prop allows me to get into small fields with no problems. It's large enough to draw crowd of onlookers at the small airports and that's a cool plus. The mighty Caravan, it gets the job done.
Well tomorrow I depart on another week of overnight express package delivery. Talk to you when that's finished. Cheers.

No comments: