Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Lets visit the stops along my route: KGUY


For the next several posts I'm going to describe the towns and cities that I stop during my normal route.

I'm back on my normal route this week, which starts and ends in beautiful Guymon, OK. If being able to see for miles around, without those pesky trees getting in the way, than Guymon is for you. It's a town of about ten thousand and , you guessed it, farming is the game around here. Pig farms are huge here and so is the associated pig farm smell. I think at one point oil and gas exploration was the going concern, but not so much nowadays.

Overall, it's a pretty pleasant place, the people are very nice and they seem to have a certain kind of pride that, I guess, comes from living here on a vast prairie. A vast prairie that can have, at times, very harsh weather. All of the massive thunderstorms that roll through Oklahoma are born out here in the panhandle. Winter can be pretty harsh here as well, not many trees to stop those north winds after a cold front passage.

The sky out here reminds me of Colorado, very clear and great visibility. In fact, it's not out of the question the see standing lenticular clouds ( a mountain wave cloud formation ) out here due to being within a couple of hundred miles of the Rocky Mountains.

When leaving here each evening I can clearly see towns in both Texas and Kansas, now that's some flat terrain. Okay our next stop will be Woodward, OK. I would be taking more pictures, but since the seanson and the time change, nearly my entire flight is in darkness, but I will try get some more shots like the one below.

The vast flatness of the Oklahoma panhandle
See you next post.

For more information about Guymon, OK please visit http://www.guymonok.org/

No comments: