Thursday, October 08, 2009

Logbook review

As with most things today, insurance companies run the show. That is no different in the aviation biz. All of us pilots at one time or another have had to fill out insurance forms to see if we qualify for a particular aircraft or can get a better rate on the premuims that we pay. If you own an aircraft ( which I don't ), these forms are probably very familiar. The same holds true for corporate aviation departments. We have to fill out forms listing our experiences and flight times. I have just completed mine. Here are my totals as of yesterday:
Total Time: 4265 Jet: 481 Turbo-prop: 1269 Multi-engine: 844 Cross Country: 2537
Actual Instrument: 255 As Flight Instructor: 1619
Lear 60: 205 King Air 200: 190

As a corporate pilot the flight times, as compared to the airlines, can be somewhat lower. I know a lot of airline pilots that are flying 80-100 hrs per month. In the last 12 months I've only logged 190 hours from corporate flying. Like all jobs, there are some good and bad things associated with corporate flying.
Bad Things:
Low annual flight time. On call 24/7.
Good things:
Good starting pay. Good equipment. Lots of time at your destination for sightseeing. And most importantly, in my experience, you're treated well by management members and passengers.

Yeah, I would like to log more time in the air, but I will definitely take the bad with the good.

No comments: